Photo Farewells: The Last Known Photographs Of 10 Icons
1. Legendary guitarist Jimi Hendrix, seen here with his beloved guitar called “Black Betty.” This photograph was snapped by Hendrix’s girlfriend Monika Dannemann the very day before he died. The exact details of his death are still widely disputed, but the musician was found asphyxiated on his own vomit and with barbiturates and sleeping pills readily in his system.
2. This is the final known photograph of Marilyn Monroe, taken during a visit with Frank Sinatra and jazz pianist Buddy Greco the weekend before her death, August 5, 1962. Questions surrounding the beloved actress’s death have persisted for decades. With many conspiracy theories still alive and well, the true circumstances of her untimely demise might never be known.
3. The final photograph of John Lennon captures the former Beatles front-man signing an autograph for his soon to be killer, Mark David Chapman. Chapman, also pictured, would return to the musician’s apartment a few hours later and shoot him several times as Lennon returned home with wife Yoko Ono.
4. Elvis shown pulling into Graceland with girlfriend Ginger Alden on August 16, 1977, upon returning from a dental appointment. Later that evening the ‘King’ would unceremoniously die from a massive heart attack while sitting on the toilet in his home. Though he had been battling health issues for some time, Elvis was scheduled to board a flight that very night in preparation for his next tour.
5. Freddie Mercury, frontman for the band Queen, standing outside his home in 1991, before dying of bronchial pneumonia resulting from AIDS.
6. An emaciated Bob Marley spending time with family in Munich, Germany at the end of his long battle with cancer. Weighing a mere 77 lbs. Marley would lose the battle and succumb to the cancer on May 11th, 1981.
7. Amy Winehouse, shown walking near her home in London just over a week before her death on July 23rd, 2011. Forensic pathologists determined that Winehouse died from accidental alcohol poisoning after the singer resumed drinking following a period of sobriety. Winehouse had battled both drug and alcohol addiction in the past, often translating those experiences into verse.
8. The charismatic Jim Morrison posing with longtime girlfriend Pamela Courson five days before Jim’s death in Paris. This photo was taken by a friend in the small village of Saint-Leud’Esserent.
9. Adored actor James Dean always had a love of speed and living life on the edge. Dean had only owned the Porsche he is pictured with for nine days when he crashed it, losing his life in the process.
10. Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler pictured two days before he committed suicide on April 30th, 1945. With Germany in ruins and defeat to the Allied forces looming, Hitler married his girlfriend Eva Braun and the couple then committed suicide.